Monday, May 10, 2010

Monkey Cake



My son had his 1st birthday in February and I was determined to make him a birthday cake.  I love watching all the cake shows on t.v. but had never tried actually creating a multi-tiered cake.  So, I bought supplies, did a little reading and set off on a cake creating journey.  I admit it was a little ambitious but I think it turned out well for my first cake.  The cake was a chocolate chip cake with fresh strawberry and whipped cream filling.  The decorations (except the monkeys) are fondant.  The monkeys I hand molded out of modeling chocolate.  Below is the recipe for the cake.  It was a fun experience!

Chocolate Chip Cake

(Note:  this recipe make 1 6in cake, 1 9in cake and 1 12in round cake.  I had to make 2 recipes for 6 cakes total)


1 2lb. box of cake flour
2 Tbls. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3 sticks of butter, softened
5 c. sugar
3 1/2 c. water (room temperature)
6 large eggs
12 oz. chocolate, cut into 1/4 inch pieces

Position 1 rack in top and 1 rack in bottom of oven and preheat to 350 degrees.  Line pans with parchment and spray with cooking spray.

Sift flour, baking powder and salt.  Beat butter.  Gradually add 3 cups of sugar.  Beat in flour mixture in 5 additions with water in 4 additions.  In a clean bowl, beat egg whites until medium firm.  Gradually add remaining 2 cups of sugar and beat for 5 minutes.  Fold 1/3 egg whites into batter.  Fold in remaining whites.  Fold in chocolate pieces.

6 inch pan uses 2 cups of batter, 9 inch pan uses 4 cups of batter, 12 inch pan uses 9 cups

Place 6 & 9 inch pans on top rack and 12 inch on bottom.  Bake for 50-55 minutes (until toothpick comes out clean).  Let cool before removing from pan.

Decorate and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment